Up to 40 stations on the London Underground network are to close as the capital attempts to reduce the effect of the coronavirus outbreak.
Transport for London (TfL) announced there would be a partial shutdown of the network from this morning, and night Tube and bus services will be significantly reduced.
Buses in the capital will be reduced and people are being urged “not to use public transport for anything other than essential journeys”.
The move comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted the coronavirus is spreading faster in London than other parts of the UK.
This week Mr Johnson advised people to work from home where possible, and to avoid bars, pubs and restaurants. Since then, the London Underground has seen a 19% fall in passenger journeys compared to last week.
London Underground stations facing closure:
- Bakerloo Line: Lambeth North, Regents Park, Warwick Avenue, Kilburn Park, Charing Cross
- Central Line: Holland Park, Queensway, Lancaster Gate, Chancery Lane, Redbridge
- Circle Line: Bayswater, Great Portland Street, Barbican
- District Line: Bow Road, Stepney Green, Mansion House, Temple, St James’s Park, Gloucester Road
- Jubilee Line: Swiss Cottage, St John’s Wood, Bermondsey, Southwark
- Northern Line: Tuffnell Park, Chalk Farm, Mornington Crescent, Goodge Street, Borough, Clapham South, Tooting Bec, South Wimbledon, Hampstead
- Piccadilly Line: Caledonian Road, Arsenal, Covent Garden, Hyde Park Corner, Bounds Green, Manor House
- Victoria Line: Pimlico, Blackhorse Road
TfL said these stations “could be closed” from today, and advise passengers to check the website for live updates.
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “People should not be travelling, by any means, unless they really, really have to. Londoners should be avoiding social interaction unless absolutely necessary, and that means they should be avoiding using the transport network unless absolutely necessary.
“London will get through these extraordinarily challenging times, and ensuring the capital’s critical workers can move around the city will be crucial.
“Frontline staff across our health and care service – as well as those ensuring Londoners stay safe and can access food and other essentials – should be commended for their hard work.
“We owe it to them to do whatever we can to help them do their jobs effectively.
“I’m urging Londoners to only use public transport for essential journeys. Everyone should follow this and the other advice to help keep themselves and each other safe.”
TfL said it would also be gradually reducing the frequency of services across the network from Monday, “to provide a service for critical workers to get to where they need to – ensuring that remaining services are not overcrowded”.
London Overground, TfL Rail, the DLR and London Trams will also be running fewer services from next week.
Transport Commissioner Mike Brown said: “The advice from Government is clear – people should now only be making journeys that are absolutely essential. We and our staff are doing everything we can to ensure that people who need to make essential journeys can continue to do so.”
Passengers are being urged to check their journey on the Transport for London site before they travel.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Original National Rail artist criticises new green logo ahead of COP26 - 23rd September 2021
- Coroner calls for review of automatic brakes after Croydon tram crash - 23rd September 2021
- Rail freight ‘never been more crucial’ amid HGV driver shortage - 23rd September 2021