Students who had already booked train tickets to travel home for Christmas before the announcement of the student travel window can now rebook their tickets without paying additional fees.
Students who bought an Advance ticket before November 11 for a date of travel after December 9 can now change their Advance tickets to travel during the window without paying a change of journey fee of up to £10.
- ‘Surge’ in travel expected as families form Christmas bubbles
- Eurostar is ‘fighting for survival’ amid calls for government support
- Treasury announce extra £2.1bn to keep train services running
Flexible tickets such as Off Peak or Anytime can already be rebooked to another date without payment of an admin fee.
The window from December 3 to 9, coinciding with the end of the winter term, ensures that students can return home once the national lockdown restrictions have been lifted whilst minimising the risk of transmission of the virus to others.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: “Students will be eager to be at home with their families after an unprecedented autumn term, and travelling during this window enables them to do so as safely as possible.
“By waiving change of journey fees, they can now rebook their tickets without being left out of pocket.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Original National Rail artist criticises new green logo ahead of COP26 - 23rd September 2021
- Coroner calls for review of automatic brakes after Croydon tram crash - 23rd September 2021
- Rail freight ‘never been more crucial’ amid HGV driver shortage - 23rd September 2021