Rail workers were said to be “solidly supporting” the fourth day of strikes in a bitter dispute over guards on trains, with the threat of further action if the row is not resolved.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) on South Western Railway (SWR) will stay on strike until Saturday evening.
The walkout led to widespread disruption to SWR services, including busy commuter routes into London Waterloo. The union has accused SWR of doing nothing to resolve the dispute.
- UK railway news round-up
- Drunk Doncaster driver jailed for smashing into train at level crossing
- Official Opening for Doncaster’s Rail Heritage Centre
- PREVIEW: October issue of Steam Days magazine
- Violence against transport workers worse during pandemic – rail union warns
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “Our members on SWR have once again proved their resilience and determination throughout this week’s action and it’s now time for the company to get out of the bunker, stop stalling and start talking seriously with the this trade union about
safe methods of operation that respect the crucial role of the guard on their trains.
“I am making it clear that if we have to put on further action in the cause of rail safety then that is what we will do.
“The ball is in the company’s court and it’s about time they started putting the safety of the travelling public before their own private profits.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- PREVIEW: October issue of Steam Days magazine - 16th September 2021
- Violence against transport workers worse during pandemic – rail union warns - 16th September 2021
- Grant Shapps retains Transport Secretary position in PM cabinet change-up - 16th September 2021