Network Rail has appointed Michelle Handforth as the new managing director for the Wales & Western region.
Currently the chief executive of Aberdeen Harbour Board, Handforth will join Wales & Western in the summer.
- Severn Valley Railway Spring Steam Up to go ahead as planned
- Thousands of rail staff to be trained to help disabled passengers
- Hull Trains announces restart date but also redundancies
Michelle has had a wide-ranging international career in several sectors including aviation, rail, maritime, financial services and the oil and gas industry.
She previously held roles at Great North Eastern Railways as commercial director and with First Group as a strategic lead on franchise bids. She brings with her over 20 years’ board experience in customer service, safety, transport infrastructure and innovation.
Michelle Handforth said: “I’m delighted to be appointed as managing director of Wales & Western and to return to the rail industry at such a critical time.
“I look forward to working with colleagues and industry partners to welcome passengers back to the railway by providing the best possible service.”
Andrew Haines, chief executive of Network Rail said: “I’m pleased we could bring Michelle back into the rail industry.
“It’s been a difficult year and she’ll bring a fresh perspective to help us navigate through these challenging times.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Government takes over Southeastern train services - 17th October 2021
- Swanage Railway announces Steam and Lights Christmas schedule - 16th October 2021
- Government to restore services to the Dartmoor Line - 13th October 2021