It’s a slice of living history, and for anyone interested in railways the East Anglian Railway Museum is simply a great family day out.
The museum gives you a chance to get up close and personal to a wide collection of steam trains, diesel locomotives and vintage carriages.
The story of the East Anglian Railway Museum is one of hard work, sweat and steam, as a small number of dedicated enthusiasts and volunteers strived to ensure the survival of an important piece of Britain’s industrial and cultural heritage.
The museum remains dedicated to the conservation of a historically significant representation of our regional railway heritage, largely through the efforts of volunteers. As a result, thousands of visitors every year are able to enjoy seeing a working museum.
It hosts a number of event days throughout the year when the team operates a variety of classic steam locomotives and vintage diesels, so you can experience the sights, smells and the noise of an authentic steam railway in a period setting.
Visitors are able to enjoy unlimited rides on the heritage trains included in the admission cost, making it perfect for a family day out.
You can also view the restored locomotives, explore the numerous railways carriages and sometimes even have a go at driving a diesel locomotive. There are often other things going on too – check the events list for details.
Open Daily for static viewing 10am-4.30pm
- Escape Room – July 21, Aug 18, Sept 28, Oct 20 & 30 (half-term), Nov 30, Dec 29
- Steampunk Fair – July 21 – In cahoots with the League of Essexordinary Gentlemen, this is a day full of steampunk shenanigans…
- Summer Steam Sundays – July 28, August 4, 11 & 18 – Enjoy the nostalgic museum surroundings at Chappel Station, bring the family, bring a picnic and spend a relaxing Sunday. Steam engines will be running all day.
- Activity Mornings – July 30 (Military), August 13 (Engineering), August 27 (Nature)
- Days Out With Thomas – August 24 -26, October 26 – 27, December 8, 14, 15, 21, 22 – Meet the Fat Controller and ride on Thomas and his friends at these great family days out
- Chappel Beer Festival – September 3-7
- Roman River Festival Concert – Sept 15 – A live performance of Steve Reich’s mesmerising Different Trains, string quartet plus electronics.
- Diesel Gala – September 29
- Steam Day & Model Railway Show – Oct 15
- Half term diesel days – Oct 30
- Halloween Half-Term Fun – Oct 28-31
For prices and more details contact:
East Anglian Railway Museum
Call 01206 242524 or visit: email@example.com
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Competition seeking best young rail photographers open - 25th September 2021
- Upgraded Island Line set to reopen on November 1 - 24th September 2021
- UK railway roundup - 24th September 2021