The Government has called on rail operators to “urgently set out a comprehensive plan” to resolve the ongoing disruption to services due to cracks found in some trains.
Hitachi 800 trains were pulled from lines on Saturday as a “precautionary measure” after the fault was found in some Hitachi 800 trains, and Great Western Railway (GWR) and LNER advised people not to travel throughout the weekend. That advice continues for Monday (May 10).
- More rail disruptions due to cracks found in Hitachi 800 trains
- Rail passengers to get last mile journey options on WhatsApp
- HS2 to move 3,000 bodies from medieval churchyard
In a statement, rail minister Chris Heaton-Harris said: “I have directed the rail industry to urgently set out a comprehensive plan to ensure services can safely resume as soon as possible.
“I expect operators to explore all options for replacement services to help people complete their journeys, and have asked Hitachi for a safety inspection plan, as well as longer term repair strategy.
“Our focus is to ensure trains are returned to service as quickly as possible, once they are fully approved as safe. Only then can we start to rebuild a reliable and punctual timetable for passengers.
“I also want to thank passengers for their patience during what could be a significant period of prolonged disruption, likely to continue for some time.”
The Department for Transport said Mr Heaton-Harris had called an urgent meeting with MPs on Sunday to keep them updated on progress, with representatives from Hitachi and rail operators also invited.
GWR has warned that its long-distance services would continue to be cancelled on Monday, and that local services are expected to be much busier as a result.
LNER also apologised for the issue, which is affecting most of its services, adding that weekend tickets can be used on trains which are hoped to be running next week.
This comes after the Rail Delivery Group warned the disruption could last for days.
Robert Nisbet, regional director at the body, told BBC Breakfast: “With the inspections completed initially by the end of today, we are still expecting some disruption to carry on for a few days.
“It’s impossible for me to say exactly how long that is going to take, but we are obviously going through this as quickly as possible, but we don’t want to rush it.
“We want to ensure that all of those trains are thoroughly inspected and cleared and put into service when things are ready, but there may well be a knock-on effect for some of those timetables into next week.”
He said the cracks – measuring millimetres – are on the “lifting points on the underside of the carriages used for maintenance”.
Mr Nisbet said: “It’s fair to say this didn’t pose any particular danger to passengers that were travelling on those trains but if you don’t treat these kind of issues early on then they have the potential to develop.”
Hitachi Rail apologised on Saturday for the disruption after the cracks were spotted during routine checks, adding that by Saturday evening “some trains” had been cleared to run as normal.
A spokesperson said: “Safety is our number one priority and as a precaution, the decision was taken to halt the entry into service of our intercity fleets pending inspection.
“We understand the frustration caused and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to passengers and operators.
“Having been cleared for service, some trains are now running again across the network.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox…
You can unsubscribe at any time.