An attempt to break the 36-year-old record for the fastest rail journey between London and Glasgow has failed.
Avanti West Coast and Network Rail , in association with The Railway Magazine, had teamed up to attempt to break the record for the fastest journey from London to Glasgow.
- LIVE: London to Glasgow Central record-breaking attempt fails
- Avanti West Coast and Network Rail join forces for London to Glasgow record attempt
The intercity operator’s iconic Pendolino No. 390044 departed London Euston at 10.36 for a non-stop journey to Glasgow Central, aiming to beat the current record of 3 hours 52 minutes and 40 seconds. The attempt fell short by 21 seconds.
Here are a selection of photos taken from an eventful day across the UK’s railway.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- UK railway news roundup - 30th July 2021
- ‘Hidden’ Lake District railway station restored to feature Murder On The Orient Express set cafe - 29th July 2021
- Rail unions call public meeting over future of Eurostar - 29th July 2021