The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust (A1SLT) is recruiting again and is seeking an Engineering
Technician (Steam Locomotive & Coach Fitter).
A1SLT is the UK’s premier organisation for the building of brand new full-size steam locomotives and is now seeking a further Engineering Technician to join the team.
They require an additional locomotive fitter to join their engineering team in the role of Engineering Technician.
This critical role will assist with the delivery of operational and planned maintenance and repair work arising on new build locomotive, Peppercorn class A1 No. 60163 Tornado and Mk I support coaches BCK 21249 and BSK 35457 in operation on the main line and preserved railways.
Additionally, this role will be required to undertake construction work and subsequent planned maintenance of the second locomotive, Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales being constructed now by the Trust.
The successful applicant will have a good knowledge of steam locomotive maintenance and
repair. Experience of mainline steam locomotive operation would be an advantage.
The role delivers engineering activity as part of planned and scheduled maintenance as well as basic administration and IT skills.
Although the role will be part of the team based in Darlington, where the company has dedicated workshop facilities and is developing purpose-built running maintenance and construction facilities on a new site, it is primarily focussed on the maintenance and operation of Tornado, wherever that may be from main line depots to Heritage locations around the UK.
There will be a need for extensive travel and time away from home, including weekend work.
- Basic knowledge of the rail environment and need for safety.
- Good mechanical and electrical skills, with experience in routine boiler maintenance and steam locomotive fittings.
- Experience in working in a safety-critical environment.
- A team player, conscientious, reliable, flexible and hardworking.
- Good communication skills, both in person and in writing.
- Good basic IT skills; familiar with MS Office toolset.
- Demonstration of competence (or relevant experience) of, or equivalent to, NVQ in Rail Engineering, Traction and Rolling Stock Level 2. Formal qualifications to this level are desirable but not essential.
- Current footplate competence as a Fireman, Cleaner or Footplate Trainee.
- Current Sentinel Cardholder or TOC PTS. Must meet the minimum standards of NR medical and be able to achieve full PTS during the probation period.
- Willing and able to drive.
- Salary subject to negotiation based on skills and experience.
Is this for you?
For further information, a copy of the job description or to apply please contact email@example.com.
Applications must include a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience and skills match the demands of this position. Applicants must also include an up to date CV.
Candidates called for an interview will be asked for two references to support their application.
Applications must be received by 12 August 2021 and selected candidates will be called for interview in the first or second week of September 2021.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- UK railway round-up - 22nd October 2021
- HRH Prince Richard pays a visit to Crich Tramway Village - 21st October 2021
- New Lumo train service linking London and Edinburgh launches - 21st October 2021