Network Rail is upgrading the track in Hensall over the August Bank Holiday weekend to bring smoother journeys for passengers travelling to North Yorkshire.
Work will begin on August 27, and continue throughout the Bank Holiday weekend until September 1. The line will be closed with buses replacing Northern trains between Goole and Knottingley for the duration of the closure.
- Two injured in level crossing collision between train and tractor
- Rail passengers face potential 4.8% rise in fares
- Train passengers to get indication of rail fare rises
Network Rail will lift and replace almost 2km of track between Whitley Bridge and Snaith, near Drax Power Station in North Yorkshire to improve reliability and reduce the amount of maintenance work needed in the future. The ballast – stones which support the track – and the sleepers will also be replaced.
Network Rail has planned work over the Bank Holiday weekend to keep over 95% of Britain’s rail network open.
Matt Rice, Route Director for Network Rail’s North and East route, said: “Upgrading the track at Hensall will bring smoother, more reliable journeys for passengers and freight services using this line. We’ve planned the work carefully to minimise the impact on the local community.
“As we welcome passengers back to the railway, the vast majority of services are running as normal. We’re advising people to check their journey and allow plenty of time.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- PREVIEW: October issue of Steam Days magazine - 16th September 2021
- Violence against transport workers worse during pandemic – rail union warns - 16th September 2021
- Grant Shapps retains Transport Secretary position in PM cabinet change-up - 16th September 2021