This week’s roundup of news from the UK railway industry.
Rail passengers suffer one of worst periods on record for cancellations
Train passengers have suffered one of the worst periods for cancellations on record due to coronavirus pandemic-related staff shortages, new figures show.
Plans for new £5.9m collection building go on display at Locomotion in Shildon
The exhibition will be on show at Locomotion between January 19-23 before the plans are submitted for planning approval later in the year.
London-Cornwall sleeper trains disrupted for eight weeks
Overnight sleeper trains between London and Cornwall will be cancelled between Mondays and Thursdays for eight weeks due to a complication with engineering work.
Crossrail ‘on track’ to begin passenger services in first half of 2022
The over budget railway project will operate between Abbey Wood and Paddington through new tunnels under central London. It will be known as the Elizabeth line once services begin.
Latest Service Updates
Gatwick Express – Gatwick Express services remain suspended until further notice.
Hull Trains – Hull Trains are currently running a reduced service, in line with passenger demand and current government advice.
If you need to travel this weekend, here are planned works that may affect your journey.
- TFL RAIL: Sunday 23 January, a reduced frequency, four trains an hour, operates all day between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington. Trains will not call at Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Hanwell. Paddington to Reading trains are retimed.
- RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June.
Our transport network has never been cleaner. Imperial College London run monthly tests for coronavirus on the transport network and found no trace. You can read their recently published report.
Air continuously flows through all our trains, trams and buses. For example, on average, air in a Tube train changes every few minutes. Buses are fitted with air extraction and ventilation systems and we also leave windows open throughout the passenger area to keep a flow of fresh air.
Please continue to walk or cycle part of your journey where possible. If using public transport, travel during quieter times if you can. This will make social distancing easier. The quieter times to travel are:
- Between 08:15 and 16:00 and after 17:30 on weekdays
- Before noon and after 18:00 on weekends
Our TfL Go app can help you plan your journey and show the quieter times to travel.
You must continue to wear a face-covering over your nose and mouth at all times when on the transport network, unless exempt. The overwhelming majority of people are complying with this requirement, and the British Transport Police, the Metropolitan Police and our own officers are on the network to check compliance. Fines of up to £6,400 exist for anyone who does not comply.
Please also wash or sanitise your hands before and after travel.
- NORTHERN LINE: From Saturday 15 January until mid May 2022, no service between Moorgate and Kennington due to major upgrade works.
- WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Service operates between 06.07 and 10.13 and between 15.23 and 19.11 on weekdays only. There is no service on Saturdays and Sundays.
LONDON OVERGROUND: Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 January, no service between Highbury & Islington and West Croydon / Crystal Palace / Clapham Junction. Sunday 23 January, until 1015, no service between Liverpool Street and Enfield Town / Cheshunt.
Check before you travel and plan your journey ahead of time.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Book of the Week: Young Railway Photographer of the Year 2022 - 16th May 2022
- Emergency workers ‘did not treat blind man amid live railway track concerns’ - 27th April 2022
- Spring Steam Gala: Sunday, May 1st & Bank Holiday Monday, May 2nd - 26th April 2022