This week’s roundup of news from the UK railway industry.
Prosecutions launched over Croydon tram crash in 2016
Prosecutions have been launched over alleged health and safety failings relating to the Croydon tram crash.
Rail industry responds to Chancellor’s Spring Statement
Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor of the Exchequer presented his Spring Statement to Parliament on March 23, 2022.
Scotland’s Railway offers a warm welcome to refugees from Ukraine
Scotland’s Railway is playing its part to support refugees arriving in Scotland from war-torn Ukraine.
National Railway Museum’s receives £2.5m in largest single donation
The gift from the Yorkshire-based charitable foundation is the largest single donation to be received by the museum, excluding lottery grants.
Sadiq Khan’s fears as future TfL contracts supporting factory jobs ‘at risk’
Future contracts for London transport schemes which support jobs across the country are at risk without long-term funding from the Government, the capital’s mayor is warning.
Minister fears swearing increase on trains if sticker warnings placed on seats
Conservative frontbencher Trudy Harrison raised fears of “unintended consequences” caused by the proposal to clamp down on anti-social behaviour on the rails.
Latest Service Updates
Gatwick Express – Gatwick Express services will be reinstated from April 3rd 2022.
Hull Trains – Hull Trains are currently running a reduced service, in line with passenger demand and current government advice.
If you need to travel this weekend, here are planned works that may affect your journey.
Our transport network has never been cleaner. Imperial College London run monthly tests for coronavirus on the transport network and found no trace. You can read their recently published report.
Air continuously flows through all our trains, trams and buses. For example, on average, air in a Tube train changes every few minutes. Buses are fitted with air extraction and ventilation systems and we also leave windows open throughout the passenger area to keep a flow of fresh air.
Please continue to walk or cycle part of your journey where possible. If using public transport, travel during quieter times if you can. This will make social distancing easier. The quieter times to travel are:
- Between 08:15 and 16:00 and after 17:30 on weekdays
- Before noon and after 18:00 on weekends
Our TfL Go app can help you plan your journey and show the quieter times to travel.
You must continue to wear a face-covering over your nose and mouth at all times when on the transport network, unless exempt. The overwhelming majority of people are complying with this requirement, and the British Transport Police, the Metropolitan Police and our own officers are on the network to check compliance. Fines of up to £6,400 exist for anyone who does not comply.
Please also wash or sanitise your hands before and after travel.
- RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June.
- CIRCLE LINE: Saturday 26 March, until 1100, no service on the entire line. Saturday 26, from 1100 and all day Sunday 27 March, no service between Edgware Road and Sloane Square (via High Street Kensington)
- DISTRICT LINE: Saturday 26 March, until 1100, no service between West Ham / Edgware Road and Wimbledon / Kensington (Olympia) / Richmond / Ealing Broadway. Use London Overground services between Richmond and Gunnersbury. Replacement buses operate.
- DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY: Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Shadwell and Bank, please use Tower Gateway station instead.
- HAMMERSMITH & CITY LINE: Saturday 26 March, until 0800, no service on the whole line. Saturday 26 March, between 0800 and 1100, no service between Hammersmith and Baker Street.
- METROPOLITAN LINE: Saturday 26 March, until 0800, no service between Wembley Park and Aldgate. Please use Jubilee line connections
- NORTHERN LINE: From Saturday 15 January until mid May 2022, no service between Moorgate and Kennington due to major upgrade works.
- TFL RAIL: Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Liverpool Street and Shenfield. Please use London Underground connections between Liverpool Street and Stratford. Replacement buses operate. Sunday 27 March, a reduced frequency, four trains an hour, operates between Paddington and Heathrow Terminals 2 and 3. Trains will not call at Acton Main Line, West Ealing and Hanwell. Paddington to Reading trains are retimed.
- WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Closed on weekends and public bank holidays.
- Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Surrey Quays and New Cross, please use New Cross Gate station instead.
- Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Highbury & Islington and Dalston Junction. Replacement buses operate.
- Sunday 27 March, until 1015, no service between Wandsworth Road and Clapham Junction, trains are diverted to/from Battersea Park for Southern connections to Clapham Junction.
- aturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Romford and Upminster. Use local London Buses routes 165 (Romford-Emerson Park), 248 (Romford-Upminster) and 370 (Romford-Emerson Park-Upminster).
- Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, no service between Camden Road and Stratford. Replacement buses operate.
- Sunday 27 March, until 1015, no service between Clapham Junction and Kensington (Olympia). Please use local London Buses and London Underground connections.
Check before you travel and plan your journey ahead of time.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Book of the Week: Young Railway Photographer of the Year 2022 - 16th May 2022
- Emergency workers ‘did not treat blind man amid live railway track concerns’ - 27th April 2022
- Spring Steam Gala: Sunday, May 1st & Bank Holiday Monday, May 2nd - 26th April 2022