Tim Helme recounts some of the stress, strife and shenanigans on the diminutive Derby branch line to Sinfin from 1990 to date.
THE Sinfin branch, which is accessed at Melbourne Junction about one-and-a-quarter miles south-west of Derby, was originally laid in 1868.
From Melbourne Junction it ran to the Stenson Branch at Chellaston West Junction before diverging at Chellaston East Junction and continuing on via Melbourne to Ashby-de-la-Zouch on the Leicester to Burton-upon-Trent line.
The line was never much of a success, however, and lost its passenger service in 1930 – although the section south of Chellaston became the Melbourne Military Railway during the Second World War.
This line survived under British Rail until 1980 then was lifted in 1988, and today much of it is National Cycling Route 6 ‘The Cloud Trail’.
The northern section between Melbourne Junction and Chellaston West Junction was severed in 1973, but just over a mile of track was kept from Melbourne Junction to slightly beyond the Rolls-Royce Siding.
Somewhat against the grain, two new stations were built at Sinfin North and Sinfin Central and this remaining stretch of track reopened to passenger services in 1976.
Read more and view more images in the August issue of RE – on sale now!
From the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
About the Author
01507 529529 | NDevereux@Mortons.co.uk
Latest posts by Nigel Devereux (see all)
- Guest locos and coaches at Richmond Light Railway - 21st October 2019
- Zillertal makes its UK debut at W&LLR gala - 20th October 2019
- Good craic on Steam Dreams’ ‘Emerald Isle’ luxury charter - 19th October 2019