GWR diesel railcar No. W20W is receiving a thorough overhaul at Tenterden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway (KESR).
No. 20 was built at Swindon in 1940, withdrawn in 1962, and after four years of storage was bought by the KESR.
It arrived by rail as an ‘out-of-gauge load’ in April 1966. Years of restoration followed, before entering service by Christmas 1972. It had the duty of hauling the KESR’s first revenue-earning train in February 1974.
It was withdrawn after six years of regular use because of severe body panel corrosion and general rot. Some restoration took place during the 1980s and ’90s, but No. W20W really needed major surgery.
Read more in the August 2019 issue of The RM – on sale now!
From the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
About the Author
01507 529529 | NDevereux@Mortons.co.uk
Latest posts by Nigel Devereux (see all)
- Guest locos and coaches at Richmond Light Railway - 21st October 2019
- Zillertal makes its UK debut at W&LLR gala - 20th October 2019
- Good craic on Steam Dreams’ ‘Emerald Isle’ luxury charter - 19th October 2019