From the August 1969 issue of The Railway Magazine, A. Kempsell reported on the preservation of a fireless steam locomotive formerly used at Dalmarnock Power Station. The locomotive had been presented to Glasgow’s Museum of Transport by the South of Scotland Electricity Board.

A permanent home in Glasgow
ONE of the last fireless steam locomotives in Britain has found a permanent home in the Museum of Transport, Glasgow. It has been presented by the South of Scotland Electricity Board, at whose Dalmarnock Power Station most of its working life was spent.
Of 0-6-0 wheel arrangement, it was ordered from Andrew Barclay Sons & Company (No. 1571), at Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock, by the Ministry of Munitions in 1917 and, although built for Irvine munition works, it turned up for sale at Gretna in 1919 on the closure of the factory there. It was purchased for Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department for use at Dalmarnock, remaining there until handed over to the museum on May 29.
From the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Working life at Dalmarnock
This fireless engine had been in operation last winter shunting wagons at the power station, where No. 1 was known as “the thermos flask”. After charging from the station’s low-pressure steam system it could operate for 2½ hours, hauling 30 × 16-ton wagons to begin with and gradually decreasing numbers as pressure dropped. Normally a total of 60 full wagons could be moved for unloading before pressure dropped to 40 lb. per sq. in. ready for recharging. With boiler drum at a water level of half-glass, the receiver could be charged with steam at 150 lb. per sq. in. from cold in 45 min., or from warm at 40 lb. per sq. in. in 20 min., which was the normal recharging rate.
Principal dimensions
Principal dimensions are:
Steel drum: 5 ft. dia. × 15 ft. long
Wheels: 3 ft. dia.
Cabin: 12 ft. high
Overall length: 20 ft.
Total weight: 20 tons 4 cwt.
Changes at the power station
In recent years, because of changes in operating conditions at the station, there have been few opportunities to make use of the ageing engine, and its work is now done by diesels. It has been freshly painted in green and black, with red wheels and driving rods and black and yellow buffer beam, and occupies almost the last available space in the locomotives section of the museum.
Other locomotives in the museum
Six other old-stagers joined there are Caledonian Railway 4-2-2 No.123 (1886) and 0-6-0 No. 828 (1899), Highland Railway 4-6-0 No. 103 (1894), North British 4-4-0 No. 256, Glen Douglas (1913), Glasgow & South Western Railway 0-6-0 tank No. 324 (1917), and Great North of Scotland 4-4-0 No. 49, Gordon Highlander (1920).
This article is available to subscribers of The Railway Magazine, along with every article from issues dating back to the 1800s! To subscribe, visit https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/the-railway-magazine

