Celebrate the heyday of passenger rail travel around Britain with the beautiful The Times Golden Years of Rail Travel.
The perfect gift for any railway enthusiasts this Christmas! Take a journey back to the boom time for Britain’s railways with a unique collection of fascinating stories, photographs, posters and railway ephemera.
Leading railway author Julian Holland tells the story of an evocative period in Britain’s railway history – gone forever but never forgotten.
A century of rail travel
Discover a century of rail travel in Britain, covering:
- Late 19th century to 1922: The zenith of Britain’s railways, with 120 companies operating.
- 1923 to 1947: Railway companies are grouped into the ‘Big Four’.
- 1948 to 1994: Nationalisation heralds the era of British Railways.
You can purchase a copy of Golden Years of Rail Travel here.
The Times Golden Years of Rail Travel, on sale now!
- ISBN: 9780008323752
- Imprint: Times Books
- Format: Hardcover
- Trimsize: 282x219mm
- Pages: 272
From the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
About the Author
Latest posts by Sam Hewitt (see all)
- Holocaust Memorial Day: 75 years since liberation of Auschwitz camp - 27th January 2020
- World War One memorial relocated to Bangor railway station - 27th January 2020
- Your Gallery | LNER A4 No. 60009 Union of South Africa - 27th January 2020