HS2 could cost up to £106 billion, according to a widely leaked Government review.
An inquiry led by former HS2 Ltd chairman Doug Oakervee reportedly found there is “considerable risk” that the high-speed rail project’s cost will rise by up to 20% beyond the £81 billion to £88 billion range set out in a report by current HS2 chairman Allan Cook just four months ago.
HS2 was allocated £56 billion in 2015.
Mr Oakervee’s review recommends that work on phase 2b of HS2 from the West Midlands to Manchester and Leeds should be paused for six months to investigate if it could be a mix of conventional and high-speed lines, according to the Financial Times, which has seen a copy of the paper.
The review concluded that the Government should “on balance” continue with the 250mph railway, which would initially go from London’s Euston station to Birmingham and then to Leeds and Manchester by 2040, but that this is subject to “a number of qualifications”.
It said “further work” is needed to assess HS2’s impact on regional growth, and warned it is “hard” to say what economic benefits will result from building it.
“Transport investment alone will not ‘rebalance’ the UK economy,” the review adds.
This comes after Lord Berkeley’s comments earlier this month, accusing those in charge of “fiddling the figures” over the costs of HS2.
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham described the leak as “quite worrying” and claimed the use of conventional lines in the North would be a “second-class option”.
He told BBC Breakfast: “It’s the same old story. London and the South gets whatever it wants, and it’s all about penny-pinching in the North.
“I would say this to the Prime Minister and the Government today: This is your first big test of your commitment to the North of England and we’re watching very closely.
“In my mind there’s no justification at all for doing one thing between London and Birmingham, and doing something different in the North. If you’re going to do it, do it properly. Don’t do it by halves.”
Scrapping HS2 would cause ‘irreparable damage’
Several construction bosses have claimed scrapping the project would cause “irreparable damage” to the industry.
The chief executives of Balfour Beatty, Skanska and Morgan Sindall were among the signatories to a letter to Boris Johnson, seen by The Times, which urged him to approve the scheme and noted that it would take “many years to get an equivalent pipeline of work in place” if HS2 was cancelled.
But a group of more than a dozen Tory MPs will reportedly meet the Prime Minister in the coming days to urge him to block HS2 and spend the money on other projects.
Mr Johnson is expected to decide within weeks whether to go ahead with construction on the first phase of what would be Europe’s largest infrastructure project.
The review said savings to the £106 billion figure could be made by having the private sector contribute to funding HS2 stations, lowering specifications and improving the “cost performance of the management”.
It also stated that no other high-speed line in the world runs 18 trains per hour, and recommends reducing HS2’s frequency to 14.
£8 billion has already been spent on the project.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- All Great Central Railway stations to reopen from June 26 - 24th June 2021
- Severn Valley Railway’s Harrier Hydroshunter project passes significant milestone - 24th June 2021
- Railway Benefit Fund pledges support for rail workers in changing industry - 24th June 2021