Network Rail has made progress on issues which led to poor train performance in the North West and Central region of the network last year, the industry’s regulator has said.
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) said an extended focus was now required in the coming months to ensure improvements are fully delivered for passengers and freight.
- Shapps: HS2 will go all the way to Leeds despite ‘mounting costs’
- Government announces £401m rail funding boost
- Rail reforms ‘will make train journeys cheaper and more punctual’
In May 2020, the ORR found Network Rail had identified the main causes of poor performance and had started to develop remedial action plans but lacked delivery timescales.
The ORR said NR had accepted its 25 recommendations and has made good progress in difficult circumstances.
The regulator voiced concerns on the slow progress of six recommendations, which mainly relate to asset management and operations.
Graham Richards, director, planning and performance at the ORR, said: “We recognise that the COVID-19 pandemic and Putting Passengers First reorganisation has affected the pace of progress.
“While good progress has been made on the majority of our recommendations, we now expect a final push on addressing those that remain.
“We will keep our enhanced monitoring in place for the time being as we continue to hold the NW&C region to account for delivering these improvements.”
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- PREVIEW: October issue of Steam Days magazine - 16th September 2021
- Violence against transport workers worse during pandemic – rail union warns - 16th September 2021
- Grant Shapps retains Transport Secretary position in PM cabinet change-up - 16th September 2021