The Llangollen Railway (LR) has warned it is at risk of closure due to the Coronavirus crisis – unless it urgently receives donations from its supporters.
Appealing to well-wishers, LR general manager Liz McGuinness said: “Forty-five years of endeavour in rebuilding the railway as a tourist attraction is under threat. Yes, the railway is closed and may never reopen its doors if we don’t receive enough donations or grant funding. We are extremely grateful for the donations we have received so far and they are helping to keep us alive for now.”
The railway shut its doors until further notice on March 17 in the light of government advice surrounding the virus.
“The Llangollen Railway can’t claim insurance compensation for business interruption,” explained Liz.
“The government help currently available would put the railway into significant debt, which may take years to pay off. We could potentially lose up to £600,000 over the coming weeks. Figures of this magnitude could threaten the very existence of the railway. Please help now and support Llangollen Railway to ensure we survive.
“As a major attraction in the Dee Valley, Llangollen Railway puts approximately £8.5 million in to the local economy every year and to lose that would be a massive negative to all the town’s businesses and the surrounding area which benefits from visitors to the local stations and access to the Dee Valley AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural beauty).
“We cannot let this beautiful heritage railway die as owe all those who have contributed to the project over many years. We support too many businesses and jobs in the area to let that happen but help is needed if we are to see the way through this difficult period.”
How you can help
Donate online at https://llangollenrailway.charitycheckout.co.uk/cf/covid-19-appeal . For taxpayers, donations can be boosted by 25% Gift Aid at no extra cost to you.
You can also use the following methods:
- Make a bank transfer to Llangollen Railway Charitable Trust: Sort code: 53.81.03, Account number: 23423455
- Call 01978 860979 for card payments.
- Send a cheque made payable to Llangollen Railway Trust to: Llangollen Railway, The Station, Abbey Road, Llangollen, LL20 8SN.
- Llangollen heavy freight 2-8-0 sold – but will remain in Wales for now
- Llangollen diesel highs and lows
- Corwen opening on target as Llangollen fills embankment ‘Gap’ to complete trackbed
- Quiet progress has ‘Grange’ on coursefor 2020 debut
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Nine railways you can enjoy a brew or pint at - 5th July 2020
- Railways returning to action! - 3rd July 2020
- Pacers delivered to Gobowen for Cambrian Heritage Railways - 23rd May 2020