REMINDER: From Monday, you must wear face coverings on public transport
From Monday 15 June, face coverings on public transport in England will be compulsory to help prevent the spread of coronavirus as more people go back to work. Here all you need to know.
Stark warning after surge in level crossings misuse
Network Rail and British Transport Police have joined forces to express concern at the rise in people risking their lives at level crossings – after a surge in people not using them correctly.
The trend includes on the Marlow branch line where 16 people have risked their life since March 23 – the start of the COVID-19 lockdown – with seven of those resulting in people almost being hit by a train. Here’s the full story.
Swanage Railway surviving on a knife edge due to coronavirus
Volunteers at Swanage Railway have produced two fundraising videos which give a real insight into the devastating effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on the award-winning heritage railway.
The videos also dedicate the hard work and the strong level of community support required to keep the line maintained during lockdown.
The popular preserved railway in Dorset’s Isle of Purbeck carries more than 200,000 passengers a year between Norden, Corfe Castle, Harman’s Cross and Swanage and contributes more than £15 million a year to the local economy. Read the full story.
Railway workers rescue couple’s missing dog after four-day search
A couple has been reunited with their much-loved missing pet dog after a four-day search of the railway in Cheshire.
Rover, an 18-month-old Cocker Spaniel, went missing in Runcorn on 30 May causing his owners Alan and Laura a weekend of worry.
YOU can name the new East Midlands Railway Class 810 fleet
East Midlands Railway (EMR) has launched a competition to name its new Intercity Class 810 bi-mode trains.
Hitachi is building 33 five-car trains for the operator. They will enter traffic from April 2022.
EMR says entries must reflect train heritage, history or character of the East Midlands, or technological advancement. Deadline for suggestions is June 26. Read the full story here.
Which are Britain’s top 10 steam engines?
Which are Britain’s top 10 steam engines? Brian Sharpe compares the history and performance of the 10 biggest working main line engines in roughly chronological order of the introduction of the class.
Latest service updates
Due to engineering work, the following District line services will be affected:
This weekend on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 June, there will be no service between Tower Hill and West Ham. Rail replacement bus DL6 will run between Tower Hill and Barking via Canning Town.
On Sunday 14 June, there will be no service from Turnham Green to Richmond. Rail replacement bus service DL3 will run.
Hammersmith & City line
On Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 June, there will be no service between Hammersmith and Barking. This is due to engineering work. Use alternative Tube, local or replacements buses or Santander Cycles.
On Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 June, there will be no service between Moorgate and Kennington. This is due to engineering work. Use alternative Tube routes, local buses or Santander Cycles.
If you can, try walking or cycling part of your journey. For access to other Tube lines in central London, consider walking between stations using our walking map. Plan your journey ahead of time.
See the latest status updates on London Underground, including a map of closures.
Due to engineering work the following London Overground services will be affected.
On Friday 12 June, there will be no service between: • Liverpool Street and Enfield Town northbound after 23:00. Rail replacement bus service L1 will run between Hackney Downs and Enfield Town
- Liverpool Street and Cheshunt (via Seven Sisters) after 20:45 southbound only and no northbound service between 17:00 and 19:30 and after 22:00. Use local buses or Greater Anglia services
- Liverpool Street and Chingford after 18:30. Rail replacement bus service L3 will run between Hackney Downs and Chingford
On Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 June, there will be no service between: • Liverpool Street and Enfield Town. Replacement bus service L1 will run between Seven Sisters and Enfield Town
- Liverpool Street and Cheshunt (via Seven Sisters). Rail replacement bus service L2 will run between Seven Sisters and Cheshunt.
- Liverpool Street and Chingford. Rail replacement bus service L3 will run between Hackney Downs and Chingford
- No services will stop at Whitechapel. Use local bus 205 from Shoreditch High Street or bus D3 from Shadwell
On Sunday 14 June, there will be no service between: • Wandsworth Road and Clapham Junction until after 10:15. Use local buses
- Willesden Junction and Richmond. Rail replacement bus service DL3 will run
- Kilburn High Road and Euston until after 10:15, and services will not run after 23:00. Use local buses
From Monday 15 June until Thursday 18 June, there will be no service between: • Hackney Downs and Enfield Town after 22:45 and the northbound service at 22:30 from Liverpool Street to Enfield Town will not run. Rail replacement bus service L1 will run
- Hackney Downs and Cheshunt (via Seven Sisters) after 22:45. The last northbound service from Hackney Downs will run at 22:45 and the last southbound service from Cheshunt will run at 23:00. Rail replacement bus service L2 will run
From Tuesday 16 June until Thursday 18 June, there will be no southbound service from Sydenham to West Croydon after 23:30. Use local buses.
See an overview of planned track closures for the next six months.
Railway ReadsFrom the history of steam through to 21st century rail transport news, we have titles that cater for all rail enthusiasts. Covering diesels, modelling, steam and modern railways, check out our range of magazines and fantastic subscription offers.
Get The Railway Hub Weekly Round-upEnter your e-mail address below and you will receive weekly rail news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.
About the Author
- Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost - 23rd January 2021
- Eurostar: French government pledges financial support - 22nd January 2021
- Police slam using East Sussex railway crossing for photographs - 22nd January 2021